Sunday, January 23, 2011

Jesus Healed Werewolves

This morning's Gospel reading was from Matthew 4:18-25.  I always take my Greek New Testament and read along with the lectionary readings.  I know what you are thinking, I am a Greek snob.  Well, that may be the case, but I don't do it to show off, I just like reading the Greek.

Anyway, after Jesus calls Peter and Andrew and James and John, he goes on a healing spree.  Whenever I am reading along, I notice words that I don't know off the top of my head, and one stood out to me today.  In the list of ailments that Jesus was healing in 4:24 is the folowing: σεληνιαζομένους (seleniazomenous).  This is usually translated as "those with epilepsy."  Yet, the root of this word is "selena" which is Greek for moon.  One of the definitions in Liddell Scott is "moonstruck." 

Now, maybe I just have read and watched too much Harry Potter, but this got me thinking, what else could moonstruck mean?  Could this be the ancient word for werewolves?  What do you think?  Was Jesus curing wherewolves?

3 comments:

  1. The word moonstruck could mean many things. But in this context it seems to me that it could just be some sort of slang term for epilepsy or some other medical term. For example, when there was the H1N1 panemic a few years ago, people called it the swine flu instead of H1N1.

    ReplyDelete