Monday, October 4, 2010

The Social Network

I regret to admit that I have seen far fewer movies in the last 6 years than I did in either Seminary or my undergraduate studies, and I have been rarely really impressed with the movies I have seen lately.  That is why I loved this last weekend, I saw a truly brilliant movie, The Social Network.  

Not only was the story compelling and filled with humor, drama, and suspense, it was brilliantly cast and acted (notably Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg and a great performance by Justin Timberlake whom I cannot stand, but actually loved his character).  Perhaps most importantly, it was written by Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men, West Wing), and directed by David Fincher (Seven, The Game, Fight Club, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).  That team is brilliant and I certainly hope they work together in the future. 

Sorkin is among the two best writers at creating transcendent dialogue (the other being Tarantino).  I will not give any spoilers, but the movie begins with a fascinating and witty dialogue that grabs the audience's attention from the word go.  I wish people in the real word actually talked and interacted like the characters in a Sorkin film or TV series. 

Fincher is also one of my favorite directors.  He is great at creating a feel and tone for a movie that is perfect.  His scenes are always spot on to the situation and his vision comes through to the audience as seamless and riveting. 

Go see the social network.  Even if you don't have any connection with Facebook, as was the case with my wife, the film will be wonderfully entertaining satisfying.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment